Monday, May 14, 2012

Filipono Chicken Adobo

Slightly adapted from Tomatoes on the vine

Ingredients

4 bone in chicken legs, trimmed
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 (13 1/2-ounce) can coconut milk
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
8 garlic cloves, peeled
4 bay leaves
2 teaspoons pepper
1 scallion, sliced thin
1 medium pieces fresh ginger, peeled


A couple of weeks ago, the Santoku master and I celebrated our new home ownership with this recipe featuring quite an unusual combination of different flavors like coconut milk, soy sauce and vinegar which somehow, rather magically, blend in so well together to create a completely new and delicious flavor.

This also marked one of our last real meals before renovations began and left us to eat the most fast food I've had in years... so in my mind, the recollection of the creamy-intense sauce, the tender and juicy chicken covered in crispy skin, became one of those dream-like food memories, my happy place that got me through applying paint to wall after wall after wall, carrying boxes and moving furniture.

The preparation is fairly straightforward and simple - wash and trim the chicken legs and marinate them in the soy sauce for at least one hour, better two or three. Put the legs in an oven proof dish and mix the rest of the soy sauce with all the other ingredients, covering the chicken legs with the sauce. On low heat, broil for around 40-45 minutes depending on how well-done you like your chicken. Serve with rice, potatoes or bread - something to soak up the sauce which you don't want to waste!

As with any recipe or dish that takes such a prominent place in your heart and fondest memories, it's always a little scary to try to recreate the experience. Will it still taste as magical? Will it live up to your own expectations or is it going to destroy the the illusion through harsh reality? I am happy to report that I threw my fear of being disappointed over board and made the dish again, and Velva's recipe did not fail me - it turned out as delicious as the first time.

Life is good!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds so delicious!! I want to try it on tofu. Seems like it would also be great on just about anything that you can put on the grill. Mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of hte marinade for that chicken! So tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't eat chicken anymore, but my husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm.. is it really Filipono? the word is not familiar to me that's why I tried to search it on my browser but it shows here Filipino Chicken adobo..anyways.. I would like to try this chicken recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this recipe not because it's Asian but it is a delicious meals to have and a perfect addition to my cooking recipes... Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...